AENEAS will develop a concept and design for a distributed, federated European Science Data Centre (ESDC) to support the astronomical community in achieving the scientific goals of the Square Kilometre Array (SKA).
Check our progress towards various project objectives that will ultimately result in the final design of the ESDC. This design study will be a comprehensive document made publicly available to all communities of interest. Most of the project documentation and reports is public and available on our Project Outputs page.
- Engage with the science community to define requirements on the analysis capabilities of the ESDC to achieve the science goals of the SKA.
- Produce design and best practice recommendations for the networking, data transfer, storage, and the authentication and authorization infrastructure required to construct an ESDC together with cost models for European and Global connectivity.
- Address the challenges of moving the large volumes of data produced at the Telescopes over global distances to the Regional Centres, making this available to European researchers.
- Establish the optimal technical solution for a highly distributed SKA Science Data Centre in Europe, that leverages existing investments in federated infrastructures
- Estimate the level of resources required to establish an optimal European SKA Data Centre
- Establish the policy and governance framework that allows maximal scientific exploitation of a European SKA Data Centre by the European scientific communities
- Establish a plan for pan-European participation in the SKA science program beyond the current European SKA partner counties